For out of state sellers who don't live in the Raleigh/Durham area it can be tough to think about selling out of state. Fortunately we've helped a lot of home sellers do just that, and it's not difficult at all when you have some help! Here are the steps to use as a guide for how the process will go:
1. First we set up a call that typically lasts from 30 minutes to 1 hour to discuss the property and the process.
2. Next I will take a tour of the property. If you have a property management company or someone that has the key I can meet them to pick that up.
3. I'll get a 'recent updates' list from you. This is what you've done recently including any updates to the HVAC, roof, kitchen etc. This will help me in determining the property's value.
4. After touring I'll give a detailed price analysis based off of recent sales nearby. I'll make adjustments if one home is a fixer upper, or one has been renovated.
5. I'll also let you know what the obvious repairs there are, and what should be done to maximize profit. There is a balance here, since not every repair or renovation will return more than 100% of the cost. Some improvements are worth doing to make sure the home sells for top dollar, and some we can skip.
6. If it is an older home or one that needs a lot of work, sometimes it is worth getting a home inspection to see what repairs are needed. The buyer will get a home inspection during the process as well, but we don't want there to be a ton of big ticket items, since this may cause the buyer to back out of the contract.
7. If there are repairs or renovations needed we can get a contractor to work on them. We know several in the area that we can recommend if you don't know someone already. We're happy to check in periodically while the work is being done. If we are staging the home we'll start on this around this time too, as long as the furniture isn't going to get in the way.
8. When the house is ready we get the photographer to do the photos, and the appraiser to measure the home. These are items we cover as part of our marketing.
9. Once the listing is prepped we'll send you a link with a draft of the listing. That way if there's a typo or anything about the neighborhood we missed you can help us catch it!
10. Next we do the signs and list the property. The property is then syndicated to all the real estate websites including zillow, trulia, realtor.com, redfin, movoto, the list goes on and on. We use listhub as our main syndication tool.
11. Usually the first weekend we'll set up the open house and put the open house notice on all of the websites. We'll also keep you posted on the buyer's realtors that are showing the property, and let you know any important feedback.
12. After an offer is received and negotiated we'll also walk you through the inspection and appraisal process. If there are any issues along the way we'll continue to advise you in order to have a smooth and successful closing.
13. You don't need to be here for closing, although you'll have to get the 'seller docs' that the attorney prepares signed and notarized wherever you live.
We look forward to working with you, and please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions.